Friday 8 February 2013

Shepherd's Pie

 photo DSC_3058_zps69db0e47.jpg  photo DSC_3046_zps1a76749c.jpg  photo DSC_3061_zps69ab5667.jpg  photo DSC_3066_zps2dd45ca8.jpg
It's not often that I really feel like meat or even potatoes, but now and again, I miss the comforting tastes of home. On this snowy weekday, I finished work and just really craved shepherd's pie. There's something really cosy and nostalgic about this fatty, sloppy, classic English dish, but as you know, my personal spin on any recipe always involves revamping it using the colours and freshness of nature. This is what went into this good looking and yummy shepherd's pie:

Potato top:
Potatoes, peeled and diced
Milk
Butter
Chopped fresh parsley

Mince filling:
Red onions
Grated carrots
Sliced celery
Frozen peas
Mushrooms
Organic beef mince
Crushed garlic
A couple of diced, red, ripe tomatoes
A little flour to thicken any juices
A little soy sauce
Chili flakes, dried herbs, salt, cracked pepper
 photo DSC_3084_zps689802fe.jpg
Before living in Europe I always thought doing mashed potatoes was a real pain. What I learnt since is that it's the easiest way to do potatoes, ever! You peel the potatoes, cube them, THEN boil them. Then after boiling for only about 8 - 10 minutes, mash them up, melt in plenty of butter to taste, add milk until you get a smooth, peaky consistency, salt. I stirred in some chopped fresh parsley. Mmm.

Fry up all the other ingredients together in olive oil, adding them to the pan roughly in that order. Don't overcook (I know that's how you make English food, but just, no) - once I was finished sizzling the veg, I just fried the meat until brown. Distribute the mince and stuff in a suitable dish and spread the potatoes over. One hearty, fresh shepherd's pie, ready to serve.
  photo DSC_3072_zpscd83607d.jpg  photo DSC_3089_zpsd9003167.jpg
 photo DSC_3043_zpsec208faf.jpg  photo DSC_3042_zps034737db.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment